12 Simple Rules for Making It in the Music Industry
There are literally hundreds of tips on making it in the music business, and we all know how overwhelming that can be. If you're wondering which ones you should try to integrate into your daily life starting today, these 12 basic guidelines are all you really need to focus on right now to get started. With the right timing and a lot of luck, you just might strike it big.
1. Don't worry about getting signed.
2. Make Music that you adore.
3. Be unique and brilliant.
4. Having something to say is a good starting point. Work on that before you even think about writing a song.
5. Once you do have some songs think about performing live.
6. See point 3 again.
7. If your fans are talking about you on social media you might just be doing something right.
8. Get online and make sure people that like you can find out more about you. Put up as much music, articles, press and drive as much traffic to them. Do it yourself or use sites like this: Press Release for Up-and-Coming Artists.
9. High quality demos aren't essential. A good song is! If enough people like it someone will tell someone it gets on social media and eventually it reaches the ears of the record label A&Rs.
(there are also sites like this with directories to speed up the process A&R Directory)
10. Be prepared for this all to take a while. "Overnight sensations" have usually been plugging away for years in various different guises before finding that right alchemy.
11. Because of this point 10, refer to points 1 and 2 again, that'll keep you going and enjoying it. Above all believe in yourself and in your music! And remember "It takes more time to build a Skyscraper than it takes to build a chicken coop".